Susinjan Bhattacharya, Assistant Professor (Grade-II), joined the institute in July 2005. Prior to joining JIIT, he worked for his Post Doctoral Research Fellowship (2003 – 2005) at the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Hyderabad, India on the molecular biology of amylin involved in human type II diabetes. He graduated from University of Agricultural Sciences (UAS) Bangalore in 1996 with first class in Agricultural Sciences, and continued his study there to pursue his M.Sc. (Agril. Microbiology) in 1999, and Ph.D (Agril. Microbiology) in 2002. He has qualified NET conducted by Agricultural Scientists Recruitment Board (ASRB), PUSA, Delhi.
He received many awards, i.e., Dr. G. Rangaswamy Gold Medal in M.Sc. Agril. Microbiology, Dr. B. P. Pal’s Awardin M.Sc. Agril. Microbiology, and Best Poster award at the Indo-Swedish Symposium on Genomics and Proteomics of Diabetes. He is presently working on engineering the membrane protein in E. coli. He is making use of a specific membrane protein as an anchor, and engineers it to express a metal binding peptide that can be used to harvest metal ions from the environment.t.
Bacterial viability under adverse environment depends on a variety of stress response mechanisms. Persister cells, a small subpopulation of specialized dormant cells that are resistant to antibiotic treatment forms stochastically but production raises as cells enter stationary phase Formation of persister cell is necessary for survival of bacterial population under severe stress conditions like, e.g. high amounts of heavy metals. CspD (Cold shock protein D), a replication inhibitor is not a cold-shock inducible protein as the name might imply but is induced upon entry of cell to stationary phase and upon carbon starvation and increases the production of persister cells.
Research at my laboratory is aimed to know specific regions of CspD that are counteracted when growth is resumed.
- A.Dixit and S. Bhattacharya*. “Role Of Probiotics In Prevention Of Alcoholic Liver Disease”. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. Vol 12, Issue 2, 2019.
- N. Jadon, N. Sabharwal and S. Bhattacharya*, “Impact Of Cell Senescence On Age - Related Neurodegenerative Disorders: The Mechanism To Therapy- A Review”, International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. vol. 10(5): 2101-2107, 2019.
- M. Verma, and S. Bhattacharya*, “miRNA in oncogenesis”, Trends in Cancer Research and Chemotherapy. vol 1(2), pp. 1-4, 2018.
- S. Kotiyal and S. Bhattacharya*. “Events of molecular changes in epithelial-mesenchymal transition", Critical Reviews in Eukaryotic Gene Expression. vol. 26(2), pp. 163–171, 2016.
- S. Kotiyal and S. Bhattacharya*.. “Epithelial Mesenchymal Transition and Vascular Mimicry in Breast Cancer Stem Cells", Critical Reviews in Eukaryotic Gene Expression vol. 25(3), pp. 269–280, 2015.
- S. Kotiyal and S. Bhattacharya*. “Lung Cancer Stem Cells and their Therapeutic Targeting", Arch Stem Cell Res vol. 2(2), pp. 1009, 2015.
- A. Sharma, P. Gupta and S. Bhattacharya*. “Evaluation of Antibacterial Activity of Lactobacillus Spp. on Selected Food Spoilage Bacteria”, Recent Patents on Food, Nutrition & Agriculture, vol. 7(1), pp. 9-13, 2015.
- A. Jain, N. Atale, S. Kohli, S. Bhattacharya, M. Sharma, V. Rani. “An assessment of norepinephrine mediated hypertrophy to apoptosis transition in cardiac cells: A signal for cell death”, Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 225, pp. 54-62, 2015.
- S. Kotiyal and S. Bhattacharya*. “Breast Cancer Stem Cells, EMT and Therapeutic Targets”, Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm., vol. 453, pp. 112–116, 2014.
- N. Roy, A. Gaur, A. Jain, S. Bhattacharya and V. Rani, “Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles: An approach to overcome toxicity,” Environ Toxicol Pharmacol., vol. 36(3), pp. 807-812, 2013.
- N. Atale, M. Chakraborty, S. Mohanty, S. Bhattacharya, D. Nigam, M. Sharma and V. Rani. Cardioprotective role of Syzygium cumini against glucose-induced oxidative stress in H9C2 cardiac myocytes. Cardiovasc. Toxicol., vol. 13(3), pp. 278-289, 2013
- S. Bhattacharya, J.N.L. Latha, R. Kumaresan and S. Singh. “Cloning and expression of human islet amyloid polypeptide in cultured cells.” Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm., vol. 356, pp. 622-628, 2007. [ Indexed in SCOPUS, Impact factor:2.648]
- S. Bhattacharya and M.K. Shivaprakash. “Evaluation of three Spirulina species grown under similar conditions for their growth and biochemicals.” J. Food Sci. Agri., vol. 85, pp. 333 – 336, 2004. [Indexed in Sciencegateway, Impact factor:1.410]
- S. Bhattacharya and D.J. Bagyaraj. “Effectiveness of Arbuscular Mycorrhizal Fungal isolates on arabica coffee (Coffea arabica L.).” Biol. Agri. Hort., vol. 20, pp. 125-131, 2002. [Indexed in Sciencegateway, Impact factor:0.509]
- S. Bhattacharyaand M.K. Shivaprakash. “Identification and phylogenetic analysis ofSpirulinaspecies by randomly amplified polymorphic DNA PCR.”J. Ecobiol.,vol. 18,pp. 331, 2006. [Indexed in Web of Science]
- S. Bhattacharyaand M.K. Shivaprakash. “The electron microscopic studies of three related species ofSpirulina,”J. Ecobiol.,vol. 18,pp. 201, 2006. [Indexed in Web of Science]
- S. Bhattacharyaand M.K. Shivaprakash. “Evaluation of carbon concentrating mechanisms in growth of threeSpirulinaspp.,”J. Ecobiol., vol.18,pp. 101, 2006. [Indexed in Web of Science]
- S. Bhattacharyaand M.K. Shivaprakash. “Evaluation of nitrate and nitrite reductase activities in three selected species ofSpirulina,” J. Ecobiol., vol. 18,pp. 57, 2006. [Indexed in Web of Science]
- S. Bhattacharyaand D.J. Bagyaraj. “Arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi associated with arabica coffee,”Geobios,vol. 29, pp. 93, 2002. . [Indexed in Web of Science]
- S. Chakraborty, M. K. Shivaprakash,S. Bhattacharyaand K.S.R. Kumar. “Response ofSpirulina platensis(ARM 730) to the external application of vitamin and growth regulators,”J. Plant Biol., vol. 29, pp. 327, 2002. [Indexed in CAB abstracts]
- T.A. Thammaiah andS. Bhattacharya, M.K.Shivaprakash and D.J. Bagyaraj. “Response of Robusta Coffee (Coffea canephora) Sin. 3R (C x R) to VA Mycorrhizal fungi,”J. Plant Biol., vol.28, pp. 213, 2001. [Indexed in CAB abstracts]
- S. Singh, S. Bhattacharya and J.N.L. Latha. “Homo sapiens islet amyloid polypeptide precursor (IAPP) mRNA, complete cds,” GenBank ID: DQ516082, 2006.
- A.Dixit and S. Bhattacharya*. “Role Of Probiotics In Prevention Of Alcoholic Liver Disease”. International conference on Biosciences and Biotechnology (ICABB-2019), JIIT, 31st January – 2nd February, 2019, ICABB-053.
- M. Verma and S. Bhattacharya*. Role of microRNa as an oncomir and tumour suppressor. Paper presented at the International conference on Biosciences and Biotechnology (ICABB-2018), JIIT, 1st February – 3rd February, 2018.
- S. Bhattacharya. “Metal binding proteins and peptides in bioremediation of heavy metals”. Presented at the 102nd Indian Science Congress, University of Mumbai, 3-7 January, 2015.
- S. Mahajan and S. Bhattacharya*. Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition in Cancer. Paper presented at International Conference on Life Sciences, Informatics, Food and Environment (IC-LIFE 2014) August 29-30, JIIT, Noida, 2014.
- A. Sharma, P. Gupta and S. Bhattacharya. “Antagonistic effect of Lactobacillus spp. on selected food spoilage bacteria”, presented at the Centenary session of the Indian Science Congress, Calcutta University, Kolkata, India, 2013.
- J. N.L. Latha, S. Bhattacharya and S. Singh. Expression of recombinanthuman IAPP in mammalian cells. Presented a poster at the Indo-Swedish Symposium on Genomics and Proteomics of Diabetes at Madras Diabetes Research Foundation, Chennai during April 1-2, 2006.
- S. Bhattacharya, R. Kumaresan, C. Deepa, V. Aparna, G. Bindu. and S. Singh. Cyto-toxic effects of recombinant human IAPP in beta cells of pancreas. Presented a poster at “1st Annual International Conference on Translation Research for Cancer and other Diseases at CCMB, Hyderabad during March 19-20, 2005.
- S. Chakraborty, M.K., Shivaprakash, S. Bhattacharya, KSR Kumar, and R. Rao, Response of Spirulina platensis (ARM 730) to the external application of amino acids and growth regulators. Presented a paper at the International Conference On Society, Politics, The Economy And the Environment, UAS Bangalore, 2001.
- S. Chakraborty, M.K., Shivaprakash, S. Bhattacharya and KSR Kumar. Influence of carbonates and bicarbonates on biomass production, protein and pigment composition of Spirulina platensis (ARM 730). Paper presented at UGC sponsored National Seminar on Recent Advances In Mycology, Plant Pathology And Biotechnology, Pravaranagar, Maharastra. 2001.
- S. Bhattacharya. ‘Reactive Oxygen Species and Cellular Defense System’ in Free Radicals in Human Health & Diseases (Eds. V. Rani and UCS Yadav). Published by Springer, 2014.