Dr. Neeraj Wadhwa, Professor joined the Department of Biotechnology at JIIT in 2002. She graduated in Zoology (Honours) from Fergusson College, University of Pune, and Masters in Zoology from Pune University. She did her PhD in 1995 from University of Delhi, where her research focus was to study the post-transcriptional and post-translational modification in Plant Gene Expression.
She has a broad experience in teaching and research from 1994 to 2002 at different institutes like College for Applied Science for Women at Delhi University, Institute of Hotel Management, PUSA. She has also worked as a research associate at I.A.R.I, PUSA.
At JIIT, Dr. Wadhwa’s research focus is on purification of industrially important enzymes. She is Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) NET qualified.
Value addition of biodegradable waste
Our research group is focussed in developing processes for converting the Waste material of food processing industry into valuable products..These waste materials contain principally biodegradable organic matter and disposal of them creates serious environmental problems. Waste materials can be reduced significantly through the use of new or modified processing methods and through reuse other into food ingredients, and valuable bio products .
The work “Exploiting Amorphophallus paeoniifolius: An underutilized aroid of India” is an attempt to increase the utilization and consumption of aroids, raising awareness to the importance of aroids which would in-turn ensure food and nutritional security.In this project a Wheat-Jimikand composite bread can be given to the pregnant women since the bread was rich in Dietary fiber content (2.49 g/100g) and Calcium (1158.42 mg/100gm).Development of bread from this underutilized tuber crop will add value to this crop.
Waste extracts of corm and peel of Amorphophallus paeoniifolius, can be used in “Bioprocessing of Cotton Fibre” The treated fibres showed weight loss and increased water absorption potential. Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM), revealed partial degradation of cotton fibre, indicating its application of the extract in scouring of cotton fibre.
Feathers a waste by product of Poultry processing plant. can be degraded completely by Novel keratinase producing bacteria isolated from soil . When grown on chromogenic differentiation agar Hicrome bacillus agar from Himedia M1651 B. megaterium SN1 (appear asYellowish green colonies), B. thuringenesis SN2 (as Blue colonies), B. Pumilis SN3 (as Green colonies). These microbes could completely degrade pigeon and chick feathers to proteinaceous slurry within 5 days of incubation. This slurry can find application in animal feed production.
- Sonia Sharma and Wadhwa, N. ‘Phylogenetic Analysis Of Tuber Crop” InnovativeResearch in Agriculture, Engineering, Technology, Applied Sciences, Humanities &Business Management for Sustainable Development ISBN 978-93-85822-96-4, pp 23 November 2019
- Singh, A. & Wadhwa, N. “Biochemical characterization and thermal inactivation of polyphenol oxidase from elephant foot yam (Amorphophallus paeoniifolius) ,” J Food Sci Technol pp 1-9 ( May 2017). doi:10.1007/s13197-017-2647-z [Indexed in SCOPUS, SCI,]
- Singh A., Gupta, P., Shukla, G. and Wadhwa N. “Quality attributes and acceptability of bread made from wheat and Amorphophallus paeoniifolius flour,” J. Food Sci. Technol., DOI 10.1007/s13197-015-1834-z.pp. 1–7. [Indexed in SCOPUS, SCI], Impact factor: 2.024
- Singh A., Gupta, P., Wadhwa N., “Cellulase from stored Amorphophallus paeoniifolius in clarification of apple juice,” Int. Food Res. J., vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 840– 843, 2014. [Indexed in SCOPUS]
- N Sharma, Sarita Agrahari, N Wadhwa. "Study of Biosynthesis & Characterization of Microbial α-Amylase by Using Banana Peel Waste"Indo Global Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 5(2): 149-153, 2015..
- Singh A., Gupta, P., Wadhwa N, “Properties of cellulolytic enzymes from peel of Amorphophallus paeoniifolius ,” Int. J. Pharm. Pharm. Sci ., vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 333- 336, 2014. .[ Indexed in SCOPUS, Impact factor: 0.91]
- Singh A and Wadhwa N., “A Review on Multiple Potential of Aroid: Amorphophallus paeoniifolius” International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research ISSN 0976-044X (accepted for publication Oct 2013). [Indexed in SCOPUS]
- Gupta P., Singh A.,Shukla G.and Wadhwa N. “Bio-insecticidal potential of amylase inhibitors” , Journal of Pharmacy research / BioMedRX vol 1, No 5 , pp 449-458 2013.
- Singh A,. Srivastava K.C., Banerjee A.,and Wadhwa N. “ Phytochemical analysis of peel of Amorphophallus paeoniifolius”. International Journal of Pharma and Biosciences; 4(3): (P)810-815,July2013. [ Indexed in SCOPUS ]
- Singh A. and Wadhwa N. “Osmotic dehydration of Amorphophallus paeoniifolius slices & it’s phyto-chemical investigation,” International Journal of Pharmacy and Life sciences, vol. 3, pp. 1797-1801, July 2012.
- Agrahari S., Wadhwa N., “Isolation and characterization of Feather degrading enzymes from Bacillus megaterium SN1 isolated from Ghazipur poultry waste site”, Applied Biochemistry and Microbiology Applied Biochemistry and Microbiology , Vol. 48 (2), pp. 175-181, 2012. . [ Indexed in SCOPUS,]
- Wadhwa N., Asawa K., Agrahari S., “Response Surface Methodology and Resilient Back Propagation Based Yield Prediction of Protease from Bacillus megaterium SN1”, Journal of Pharmacy Research , Vol 4 (3), 2011.
- Kaushik P., Batra E., Juneja N., Tushar, A., Kohli S., Suchit, A., Agrahari S., Rani V. and Wadhwa N., “Phytochemical screening of developing garlic and effect of its aqueous extracts on viability of cardiac cell line: A comparative study”, Journal of Pharmacy Research , Vol. 4 (3), 2011.
- Agrahari S., Wadhwa N., “Production of extra cellular milk clotting enzyme from isolated Bacillus sp.”, Journal of Pharmacy Research , vol.3 (12), pp. 2924-2927, 2010.
- Agrahari S., Wadhwa N., “Degradation of Chicken Feather a Poultry Waste Product by keratinolytic Bacteria Isolated from Dumping Site at Ghazipur Poultry Processing plant”, International Journal of Poultry Science vol. 9 (5), pp. 482-489, 2010. [ Indexed in SCOPUS,DOAJ]
- Gaur S., Agrahari S., Wadhwa N., “Purification of protease from Pseudomonas thermaerum GW1 isolated from poultry waste site,” The Open Microbiology vol. 4, pp. 67-74, 2010. [ Indexed in pubMed]
- Gaur, S., and, Wadhwa. N., “Alkaline protease from senesced leaves of invasive weed Lantana camara”. African Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 7, (24), pp. 4602–4608, 2008. [Indexed in SCOPUS,DOAJ]
- Verma, N. and Sachar, R.C.” Evidence to show the phosphoprotein nature of poly (A) polymerase in germinated wheat embryos: enzyme regulation through phosphorylation”, Plant Science vol.99, pp.151-160, 1994. [ Indexed in SCOPUS, Impact factor:1.974 ]
- Kapoor, R., Verma, N., Lakhani, S., Saluja, D., and Sachar, R.C.” Purification and characterization of poly (A) polymerase from germinated wheat embryos: Enzyme glycosylation”. Plant Science vol. 89, pp.167-176, 1993. [Indexed in SCOPUS, Impact factor:1.974 ]
- Lakhani, S., Kapoor, R., Verma, N., and Sachar, R.C.”De novo synthesis of poly (A) Polymerase in germinating wheat embryos. Phytochemistry vol. 28, pp.1031-1035 1989. [Indexed in SCOPUS, Impact factor:2.946 ]
- Neetu Saharan & Neeraj Wadhwa* “Extraction , biodegradation of film made from starch of non traditionaltubers” International Conference on Recent trends in biotechnology and bioinformatics -Aug 1- 3,2019 JUIT
- Neetu Saharan & Neeraj Wadhwa* ‘Trends in the use of edible starch films and their Coating in horticulture “ International Conference on Advances in Biosciences and Biotechnology – 2020ICABB-2020)” on Omics in Human Health andDisease, 30th jan – 1st feb JIIT
- Gemini Patel & Neeraj Wadhwa Review on Multiple Potency of Karanj’. International Conference on Advances in Biosciences and Biotechnology – 2020ICABB-2020)” on Omics in Human Health and Disease, 30th jan – 1st feb JIIT
- Priyanka Kkkar & Neeraj Wadhwa Extremozymes used in the Textile”. •International Conference on Advances in Biosciences and Biotechnology – 2020ICABB-2020)” on Omics in Human Health and Disease, 30th jan – 1st Feb JIIT
- Singh, A and Wadhwa, N. “Quality characteristics of underutilized, nonconventional Amorphophallus paeoniifolius flour and starch” *OP29, ICABB-134
- Jana, R., Yadav, A, Singh, A and Wadhwa, N. “ 3D- Bioprinting: the promising future of medicine”PP42 ICABB-052
- A, Singh, Divya Batra, D., Jana, R., and Wadhwa, N. “Organic leather as a startup” *PP43 ICABB-054
- Yadav,P, Sharma,N., Rajput, P., Srivastava, P., Wadhwa, N. “Latest trends in cosmeceuticals” *PP152 ICABB-017
- Sonia Sharma and Wadhwa, N “ Application of glucomannan” PP65 ICABB-228
- Batra, D., A, Singh, Yadav, A, Jana, R., Pragya Vats, Shantanu Pawar and Wadhwa, N. “Allelopathic effect of Syzigium cumini and Ocimum tenuiflorum plants” PP120 ICABB-040
- Yadav, A, Jana, R., and Wadhwa, N. “Diatoms as a fuel:a futuristic approach”*PP121 ICABB-041
- Kumar, G.and Wadhwa, N. “Wheat gluten and puroindoline as edible food coating”*PP152 ICABB-017
- Wadhwa, N. “Bioprocessing of cotton fibre: Effective utilization of Amorphophallus paeoniifolius peel” at World Research Journals Congress, Thailand June 26 to June 28, 2017at Bangkok ( oral presentation)
- Singhal K, Mittal P, Rani M, Agarwal N and Wadhwa N. “Cyclic plant peptides as biopesticides.”International Conference on “Bioproducts and the OMICS Revolution”,Jaypee Institute of Information Technology,Noida,March , 2013
- Shukla G, Gupta P, Singh A, Wadhwa N.; “Antidiabetic potential of natural plant α amylases inhibitors.”International Conference on “Bioproducts and the OMICS Revolution”,Jaypee Institute of Information technology,Noida,March , 2013
- Asawa K, Wadhwa N, Agrahari S, “Resilient Back Propagation Based Yield Prediction of Keratinase from Bacillus Megaterium SN1” (Oral presentation) at Compbio 2010: Cambridge, 1-3 Nov. 2010.
- Agrahari S, Wadhwa N, “Production of industrially important food and feed enzymes from Bacillus thuringiensis SN2 isolated from Ghazipur poultry waste site” (Oral presentation) at ICBFE 2010 : "International Conference on Biotechnology and Food Engineering" Singapore, 25th -27th August 2010.
- Gaur S., Gupta S. and Wadhwa N., “Isolation of Protease and Keratinase From Microbes Isolated From Ghazipur Poultry Waste Site, Ghaziabad, India. (Oral Presentation),” at SIM Annual Meeting and Exhibition Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology, Toronto, Canada. July. 26–30, 2009
- Sharma,S and Wadhwa, N “Pectinase Producing Endophytic Bacteria Of Tubers , Translational Research In Biomedical And Agriculture Sciences. Delhi.,6-7 July 2018
- Sharma,S and Wadhwa, N “Endophytes of tuber crops ” National Conference on ‘Challenges and Strategies to Improve Crop Productivity in Changing Environment: An Integrated Approach’Department of Botany Zakir Husain Delhi College University of Delhi January 12, 2018
- Sharma,S., Deka,M., and Wadhwa, N “Allelopathic effect of Lantana Camara on seed germination “National Conference on ‘Challenges and Strategies to Improve Crop Productivity in Changing Environment: An Integrated Approach ”Department of Botany Zakir Husain Delhi College University of Delhi January 12, 2018
- Singh A., Wadhwa N. Utilization of Jimikand Peels as a source of enzymes.:FAB-HEP-2014; International Conference on “Future Prospects of Advancements in Biological Sciences, Health Issues and Environmental Protection ” at Indira Gandhi Pratishthan, Lucknow, India(7-8 Feb 2014) . Oral presentation
- Singh A., Wadhwa N., “Antioxidative potential and Phytochemical analysis of Elephant foot peel (Amorphophallus paeoniifolius ) ” (Oral presentation) at National Conference on “Energy, Environment & Biotechnology Research” NCEEBR-2013, 5th-6th October 2013 in the Mewar Institute of Management, Sec-4C, Vasundhara, Ghaziabad, U.P-201012.
- Gupta S, Gaur S and Wadhwa N, “Production of extracellularly secreted keratinase and protease from bacteria of poultry waste site” (Oral presentation) at International Conference on Emerging trends in Environmental Research (St Albert's College, Ernakulam) Kerala, 14th -16th August 2009.
- Gupta S, Gupta P, Tyagi S, Gupta S, Gaur S and Wadhwa N, “Potential application of Protease from senesced leaves of banana (Musa paradisiaca) ” (Poster presentation) at International conference on Emerging trends in Biotechnolgy (ETBT) and 6th annual convention of the Biotech Research Society India (BRSI) at Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, 4th-6th Dec 2009.
- Gaur, S., and Wadhwa, N., “Thermostability and antimicrobial properties of protease from senesced leaves of Lantana camara,” International Conference on Plant Genomics and Biotechnology: Challenges and Opportunities , IGAU Raipur, pp282283, Oct., 2005.
- Pandey, S., Gaur, S., Wadhwa, N., and Vemuri, N., “Wheat glutenin as biopolymer : Potential in biodegradable food packaging and in cell culture technology, ” National conference on potentials of biotechnology and microbiology , IAMR Ghaziabad, January, 2009.
- Gaur, S., Sabharwal, T., Gupta, P., and Wadhwa, N., “Increased activity of cysteine protease in senesced leaves of Carica papaya and studies using bioinformatics tools,”Cognizance, IIT, Roorkee, March, 2004.
Data submitted to open public access Genbank SubmissioN
- Sharma S and Wadhwa N., 16S rDNA sequence of Staphylococcus sciuri Accession number MK106142,2018.
- Sharma S and Wadhwa N., 16S rDNA sequence of Exiguobacterium acetylicum Accession number MK106141,2018.
- Sharma S and Wadhwa N., 16S rDNA sequence of Achromobactermucicolens Accession number MK106143,2018.
- Sharma S and Wadhwa N., 16S rDNA sequence of Bacillus subtilis Accession number MK100336,2018.
- Sharma S and Wadhwa N., 16S rDNA sequence of Bacillus xiamenensis Accession number MK100339,2018.
- Sharma S and Wadhwa N., 16S rDNA sequence of Exiguobacterium indicum Accession number MK100340,2018.
- Sharma S and Wadhwa N., 16S rDNA sequence of Bacillus stratosphericus Accession number MK100342,2018.
- Gaur S. and Wadhwa N., 16S rDNA sequence of Pseudomonas thermaerum GW1.Genbank Accession number: GU951516, 2010.
Guided PhD Thesis (Awarded) : (3)
- Singh A."Phytoconstituent characterization and application of Amorphophallus paeoniifoliusin development of food products".JIIT Noida Nov 2015.
- Agrahari S. “Production of enzymes and degradation of feathers by soil microbes’’ JIIT Noida July 2011.
- Gaur S. “Studies of Proteases from Biological Sources”JIIT Noida, January2010.
Ph.D Students (Ongoing):(5)
- Phytoconstituent screening, characterization and application of endophytes from tuber crops
- Isolation,Characterization & Bioactive Compounds from developing Plant Embryos
- Tuber metabolites and their biodegradation in natural environment
- Development of food products from Aroids
- Medicinal plants for disease control against metabolism and microbial diseases.
CONFERENCES / WORKSHOP ORGANIZED
- Co-ordinator : FDP on Bioentrepreneurship organized by dept. of Biotechnology, JIIT Noida, July 10-15, 2017.
Conferences and Work shops attended
- Attended Entrepreneurship and Faculty Development Program on Edible Mushrooms - From Lab to Farm held from 15th Feb 2021 - 19th Feb 2021organized by Shaheed Raj Guru College of Applied Sciences for Women University of Delhi
- Attended two week faculty developmentprogramme managing On line classes and Co-creatingMOOCS May 18- June 03, 2020.RamanujanCollege University of Delhi
- Faculty Development Programme Contemporary Teaching Methodologies Enabling Effective Teaching Learning Process15th - 20th June, 2020 Department of Commerce, Sri Aurobindo College, University of Delhi
- Medicinal Plants : Eternal Source of Health and Wellness Swami Shraddhanand College Uiversity of Delhi Alipur, Delhi 110036
- 5th International Conference on Advances in Biosciences and Biotechnology – 2020 (ICABB-2020)” on OMICS in Human Health and Disease
- International Conference on Advances in Biosciences and Biotechnology - ICABB-2018 (February 0103,2018)
- International conference IC LIFE , August 29-30, 2014, at JIIT.
- IP Awareness Workshop August 23, 2014/ 1 day at JIIT.
- International Conference “Bioproducts and the OMICS Revolution”, March 16-17, 2013.
- National Conference, “Energy, Environment & Biotechnology Research”-NCEEBR-2013at Mewar Institute of Management, Ghaziabad, October 5-6, 2013.
- Workshop, „Virtual Workshop on Scientific Writing & Publishing' , September 28, 2012.
- Workshop on ‘Flow Cytometry and Cytometric Applications’ August 6, 2012.
- Annual Conference-cum-Workshop on 'Research Methodology & Biostatistics' 26th August, 2012 ICMR sponsored held at LHMC Delhi International Conference.
- Bioproducts from Natural Sources”, February 3, 2011 at JIIT.
- Workshop, "Plant Bioproducts& Industrial Scale-up",July 5 - 9, 2010 at JIIT.