Department of Physics and Materials Science and Engineering
Department offers two laboratory courses in Physics at undergraduate level and two laboratory courses in Material Science & Engineering at postgraduate level. The laboratory courses cover the experiments which are of direct relevance to the students of Material Science & Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, IT, Electronics, Biotechnology. The experiments cover the following topics:
- Materials - Polymer, Ceramics, Metals. Alloys, Composites, Nanomaterials, Biomaterials
- Materials Synthesis-Synthesis of different materials by chemical, solid state etc methods
- Material analysis-Microstructure analysis, Structure by X-ray diffraction
- Optical characterization: Absorption Spectroscopy in UV-VIS and IR region, Emission Spectroscopy
- Electrical Characterization: Electrical conductivity, Impedence measurement, Dielectric constant,
- Magnetic Characterization: Magneto resistance, Magnetic Susceptibility, Hysterisis, Magneto optic rotation, Magnetostriction.
Experiments in M. Tech Level
- Structure characterization of crystalline (BaTiO3 and ZnO) and amorphous samples using X-Ray diffractionpattern.
- Study of Infrared spectra of BiFeO3 ceramic using KBr pellets and polymer films.
- Determination of the band gap of ZnO and some other materials using UV-visible spectroscopy.
- Study of Magnetostriction using Michelson Interferometer.
- Study of dielectric constant and determination of Curie temperature of ferroelectric ceramics.
- Determination of carrier density, mobility any type of semiconductor using Hall Effect.
- Study of magneto resistance of given semiconductor material.
- Determination of the band gap of a semiconductor by Four Probe method.
- Synthesis and characterization of polymer thin films.
- Synthesis and characterization of ceramic materials by solid state route.
- Synthesis and characterization of Nano particles of ZnO by Chemical method.
- Synthesis and determination of band gap of TCO by UV-VIS spectroscopy
- Frequency and temperature dependent dielectric constant measurement by Impedance spectroscopy.
- Preparation of thin film of required material on a given substrate using vacuum coating unit.
- Fiber Optics (i) To measure the NA of the fiber (ii) to study various transmission losses in the optical fiber(iii) to study free space voice communication through optical fiber.
- Study of microstructure (i) Polishing (ii) Etching (iii) Surface study using optical microscope.
- Characteristics of P-N junction diode with varying temperature.
- Analysis of magnetic susceptibility of magnetic materials
Major EquipmentsMaterial Science Lab (M.Tech Lab)
|1||Vacuum coating unit with accessories||12A4D Hind High Vacuum Company Pvt. Ltd.|
|2||High resolution Optical Micro scope with accessory||The National Scientific Instrument Co.|
|3||Lambda 35 double beam UV/Visible spectrophotometer with accessories||Perkin Elemer, Germany|
|4||Spectrum BX-II FTIR spectrophotometer with accessories||Perkin Elemer, Germany|
|5||LS-55 Luminescence spectrometer with accessories||Perkin Elemer, Germany|
|6||Low temperature setup (upto 77K) with LS-55 Luminescence spectrometer||Perkin Elemer, Germany|
|7||Dual analytical balance||Citizen CX-265|
|8||polishing machine||The National Scientific Instrument Co.|
|9||Hardness testing machine||Just Machine|
|10||Nano-Voltmeter, Digital Multimeter||Keithely|
|11||High Temperature furnace & lab tubular furnace (upto 1200°C), Hot plate and Oven||Narang Scientific Pvt. Ltd.|
|12||LCR Meter||Hioki, Japan|
|13||Hot air oven||Mac flow Engineering & Nisco|
|14||Water purification system||Millipore|
|15||Electro Magnet||Raman Scientific|
|16||Impedance Analyzer(Up to 35 MHz)||NEWTONS4TH LTD., UK Make Model PSM1735|
|17||P.I.D. controlled High Temperature Tub Furnace up to 14500 C||JUPITER ENGINEERING WORKS|
|18||P-E loop measurement with temperature & interfaced with computer||Marine India Ltd.,|
|19||Electromagnet (which can produce magnetic field upto 1 Tesla)||Polytronics corporation|
|20||Nano volt meter+ AC & DC current Source||Keithley Instruments, USA|
|21||Programmable Spin Coater||Apex Instrument Co.India|
|22||High Temperature programmable Furnace (upto 1350 C)||JUPITER ENGINEERING WORKS|
|23||X RAY DIFRACTOMETER
MODEL: XRD 6000
|24||Novo Control Alpha A High Performance Frequency Analyzer||GERMANY|
Optics -Interference, Diffraction, Polarization.
Electricity and magnetism - Specific Resistance, Magnetic Field, Dielectric Constant, Magnetic Susceptibility, Hysterisis Behavior, Magneto-optic rotation etc.
Modern Physics- Plank’s constant, e/m etc.
Lasers- Numerical Aperture, Beam Divergence, Magnetostriction.
Semiconductors- Hall Effect, Four Probe Method.
Laboratory is well equipped with latest scientific equipment for experiments on above topics.
Experiments in B. Tech level:
- To determine the wavelength of sodium light with the help of Newton’s rings.
- To determine the wavelength of sodium light by using Fresnel’s Bi-Prism.
- To determine the specific rotation of cane sugar solution by using Polarimeter.
- To determine the dispersive power of material of prism by spectrometer.
- To determine the wavelength of different spectral lines by spectrometer with the help of diffraction grating.
- To study photo-electric effect and determine the Plank’s constant (h).
- To determine the resistance per unit length of bridge wire and specific resistance of material of the given wire using Carey Foster’s bridge.
- To study the variation of magnetic field along the axis of Helmholtz galvanometer.
- Study of the properties of Optical Fiber and determination of numerical aperture, attenuation coefficient etc (experiment I-V as per the manual).
- Determination of band-gap of a semiconductor by using four probe technique.
- Determination of Susceptibility of paramagnetic liquid by using Quinck’s tube.
- Determination of e/m (charge mass ration) of electron by using Thompson’s method.
- Study of Hall Effect and determination of allied coefficients.
- Study of variation of dielectric constant with temperature.
- To determine the wavelength of laser light using diffraction grating.
- Study of the magnetostricition by using optical technique.
- Study of V-I characteristics of different diodes.
|2||Michelson Interferometer||Raman scientific|
|6||Gauss meter||Raman scientific|
|7||Cathode Ray Tube||Omega|
|9||Helium neon Laser source (2mw)||Raman scientific|